Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas is driving me crazy

"F*%# You, I couldn't back up!"
This is what I heard when I walked out of Kohls the other day after some Christmas shopping. Really, people? Is that what Christmas cheer is all about? Kohls was a nightmare. Long lines of tired people holding mounds of, pardon my French, crap. I think that's when my tinsel became tarnished and the holiday lost it's sparkle.
*Sigh*
It's a good thing there is more to Christmas than gifts.
How refreshing that Jesus' grand entrance was so plain; our greatest gift wrapped up in a cloth, nestled in a feeding trough. We are very thankful for that this Christmas. It reminds us to simplify.
Poor Matt had a breakdown while we were at Target the other day and decided that instead of buying a thoughtless gift that the recipient could buy on their own if they wanted, he would donate the money to help others. I must confess, at first I was a little upset. My big plans for a day of fun holiday shopping with my two favorite people while sipping a festive Starbucks latte were fading fast. But, Matt was right and I'm so thankful that he brings new perspective to my life. Sometimes we need a little Grinchy-ness to bring us back to what really matters.

Well then I thought, what if we started doing this every year, for everyone?

Don't worry, we're not packing up to move to a commune and grow our own food, we're just trying to look at our values so we make sure we raise our daughter to see what's important...and what's not.

So we've decided officially that from now on if we have to buy gifts, we will bless our recipient with one that also blesses others. For example, some lucky family members next year will be getting awesome handmade gifts to help stop human trafficking from Not for Sale!

It's one small way we can simplify (no more trips to Kohls!!) and serve others while we remember the real reason for the season...Jesus!





1 comment:

  1. I love it! And I love you! Have a very blessed and merry Christmas celebrating the birth of our Savior! -A

    ReplyDelete